Sunday, January 15, 2012

One moment at a time

Posted by Picasa
There are a few things in life that have measured my endurance more than others. Running a marathon, childbirth, parenting.....all things that have forced me to cry out, "I CANT DO THIS!! ITS TOO HARD!!!"

I've added something new to my list. Something Im generally against.
A diet.

Its totally cliche to start a diet in January, but here I am doing it. No Im not trying to lose weight (although I do have some to lose), and no, its not a fad diet. Ive been on a journey of restoring health to my body and this crazy diet, I believe, is key to my healing.
After years of childbearing, breastfeeding, and generally not getting enough sleep, my body is out of whack. And with God's help, Im submitting to this diet in order to return to a more healthful state.

If you know me at all, you know that thinking about and consuming food is my favorite hobby.
I really love good food. But in the process of healing, for now, Im really limited in what I can eat. Bone broth is the staple of this detox period. And five different veggies, boiled. And boiled meat.
MMMMmmmmm.
Not so much.

So here I am, on day 3 of my detox stage, and already wanting to give up and eat a plate full of waffles with whipped cream on top. But there are 27 days left. Lord, help me!

Im feeling desperate, doubting myself and my resolve to do this. And yet, I know that healing takes time and is usually painful in some way. Moving through the difficulty and into a place of receiving grace is always worthwhile.
I can certainly say that about the marathon, childbirth, and parenting.

And I can also say that doing things that push me beyond my own sheer will and into the realm of trust are more than worthwhile. I dont want to over-spiritualize a diet, but Im here to tell you that I truely cant do this apart from God's help. Maybe you could, but Im far too weak.
Im just taking one day, one moment at a time, committing my moments to my faithful Creator and trusting that He will give me all that I need.
In the end, He is the only one who can bring about the healing I desire.

13 For I am the LORD your God
who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, Do not fear;
I will help you.

Isaiah 41:13


(This post is part of Grace-laced Mondays!)


Grace Laced Mondays

6 comments:

MCA said...

Does the years of childbirth, breastfeeding, etc not take a toll on your body? Kudos to you for taking it by the horn! You can do this, you can do this, you can do this...through Christ who will strengthen you.

thetoddlerwhisperer said...

i think the only way to succeed in dieting or cleansing our temple is to submit it to the Lord and receive help from him. a truly disciplining our flesh into submission! keep it up!

N. said...

I felt exactly the same way when I went on the Maker's Diet to detox. It was so awful the first week. But after that, I felt so much better! I try to remind myself how much better I can enjoy life when I have energy and don't feel yucky all day long. Your kids will thank you for having a happier, healthier mom to play with!
Noelle

Ruth@GraceLaced said...

You are a brave brave woman. I have a few books on the table but no follow through...yet!

Kristen said...

I hear your loud and clear! We just had our fourth child 3 months ago and then hit the holidays full-force. Just like any other struggle, God can use this one to build character and perseverance! (James 1)

Beth said...

Thanks for sharing! Thanks for visiting my blog, too. You are wise to make efforts to tend to the tired body. I could REALLY use the same thing after 5 pregnancies and SO MUCH lost sleep!

Also, I'm glad to see someone else puts out photos of their dishy sink!
:-)