
I Thessalonians 5: 16-18
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
Last year I read a book that had a profound impact on me.
Anne Voskamp's, 1,000 Gifts is a beautiful reminder that all of life is GRACE.
Every breath.
Every moment.
Every triumph and every trial.
Ive been counting these gifts, and the very practice is changing me....
for you can't complain and be grateful and thankful at the same time.
And Im pretty good at complaining.
Henri J. M. Nouwen puts it another way:
"Resentment and gratitude cannot coexist, since resentment blocks the perception and experience of life as a gift. My resentment tells me that I don't receive what I deserve. It always manifests itself in envy."
My prayer is that gratitude would be my default...that complaining would become an un-natural language. That in even the seemingly insignificant tasks of my day, my heart would give thanks for each gift to the One who IS GRACE.
Im counting the gifts....are you?
(This post is part of Grace-laced Mondays....click below!)

4 comments:
I so need to do this! That book is in my "cue" to read. I love Grace, yet daily fail to embrace it and live it. Thank you for this gentle reminder of the things that we allow to stand in the way.
It frustrates me to find that complaining is not more foreign to me. Giving thanks is truly the remedy for complaining!
I'm counting gifts too! I have been reading her book since around Christmas time, and I love how focusing on the gifts (especially when it comes to our children) helps to slow those moments into unforgettable memories.
things are changing in my life, and I need to read about the gifts that I've been given...
Post a Comment