Friday, January 18, 2013

Record of 2012 Reads

I've never kept track of my reading before, but after being inspired by some other bloggers, I tried to keep a list this past year. Im pretty sure I've forgotten a couple, but here is the list....
  • Sense and Sensibility- Austin
  • Why Gender Matters- Leonard Sax
  • Getting Anger Under Control-Neil Anderson
  • Short Stories by Flannery O'Connor
  • Hunger Games- Collins
  • Cutting for Stone- Verghese
  • Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocost- Lligabiza
  • Gut and Psychology Syndrome- Campbell-McBride
  • Girl with the Dragon Tatoo- Larsson
  • Book of the Dun Cow- W. Wangrin
  • Sarah's Keys- T. deRosnay
  • The Life Model- Friesen, Wilder, and Koepcke
And a couple re-reads....
  • The Doula book-
  • The Birth Partner
Obviously, I read as much non-fiction as fiction...I enjoy both...and obviously, I dont get too much read. Since my reading time is mainly before bed, Im lucky to get a few pages read before falling asleep! Hope to find more space to read in the coming year. Several of these books were really popular in the past few years, and they are those I liked the least...including Hunger Games and The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo. Both were engaging, but I didnt walk away with the feeling that my time
was well spent or invested in them. I was left wanting more....substance I suppose.

With that said, have any books you think are must reads for my coming year? I'd love to know!
Im starting off reading The Hobbit aloud with Jonas and with a recommended Jasper Fforde Tuesday Next novel. Suggestions???

5 comments:

designHER Momma said...

so I read hunger games and tattoo girl too.

let me think....
have you ever read The time travelers wife? Or how about The Glass Castle?

I also found Bird by Bird really good, as well as The Night Circus.

(these are probably all books you've already read)

I did a post a few weeks ago and got some fantastic suggestions that I'm basing my 2013 list off of. Right now I'm into Vaclav & Lena, and it's really nice.

Unknown said...

I read Sarah's Key too. Don't watch the movie unless you have a box of tissues.

Jen said...

Thanks Em...I'll check out your blog responses...and I havent read night circus, so I'll check it out too!

Jen said...

Thanks Em...I'll check out your blog responses...and I havent read night circus, so I'll check it out too!

Karen Boyer said...

Jennie-you would love the writer Gary Schimdt, I read a ton of his stuff in the past 12 -18 months. He is a writing professor at Calvin College.
The Wednesday Wars, Ok for Now, Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy, and Trouble. Compelling stories, witty, beautiful writing. I also read Uncle Tom's Cabin last year-it floored me.