Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Letter to my children for today

Dear children,

Today you drove me crazy, you really did. There was lots of whining and complaining,
a tad bit of arguing, and a pinch of disobedience thrown in. You were kind of rotten.
We have those days around here.
Daddy wonders why I kneel at your beds every night to watch you sleep.
You look like angels all tucked in and peaceful. And what better time to pray?
Its easy to forgive your shortcomings, less easy to forgive my own. I fail you greatly,
but trust your care to One that parents you perfectly.

And yet, there are so many joys to parenting you.
Like the date Daddy took you on last week Lucille. Your art gala at school
where you proudly displayed your creations, walking hand in hand with your Dad.

Or our little overnight surprise excursion to a hotel in town with a water park.
We called it our spring break stay-cation. We swam until we were wrinkled, stayed up late, at junk food, and watched a movie together. You were all packed into the double bed like sardines, happy as larks.


Jonas tonight we read another chapter of Treasure Island. Im never quite sure how much of the old english you're understanding, but you love the tid-bits of pirate adventure. And at the dinner table you asked us again about taking communion at church. You're starting to get it, the gospel. We talked for some time, shared our hearts. I loved it. I guess you weren't rotten ALL day.

Luci, you've been a grouch lately to be honest. Daddy and I can't figure out why. You are our only girl, and we're still learning. Even with some bad habits (yelling at your brother's provokings namely), you are still the one who spontaneously gives me a hugs and says, "I love you Mommy". Im so thankful for that. But you get mad when I pick out your outfits and try to brush your hair. Your legs are getting really long and skinny. And you still ask for a sister almost every day.

E-man, you are pretty funny these days. You dont seem like a baby anymore, but I still call you my baby. And then you say, "Im NOT a baby!". And I remind you that you will ALWAYS be mama's baby, just like Jonas and Luci are.
You like to say that things are disgusting. Like today at the zoo, you announced that snakes are disgusting...which I have to agree with. It makes me happy seeing you play spies with your brother, or asking me to sing "Jesus loves me" before bed.

The things that make a day....I just have to write them down. Because soon enough, these moments will be gone. Scattered thoughts on a cyberpage....for when my mind can't conjure up the memories.


1 comment:

Carina Schoen said...

I love this. Such a sweet, honest letter. I can relate to everything you said in the beginning. Being spent, disenchanted, and watching them sleep. Praying for grace for them, for yourself. You are a great mom!