anxiously awaiting their arrival.....Im pretty excited too!)
I remember well the day I was hooked.
It was 1998, and my friend Tegan's mom invited me to tag along on her night shift at work. Since I had been contemplating the idea of nursing school ( I had just finished my degree in nutrition, but had the sneaky suspicion that I had missed my calling as a nurse), she thought I might enjoy getting an up front glimpse of the world of labor and delivery.
Her patient that night was having her first baby, but she and her husband were gracious enough to allow a perfect stranger, one that wasnt even a student, into that most precious space- to witness the miracle of their first child's birth.
I was like a fly on the wall. I didnt move, barely breathed. I watched the scene so fully absorbed, that when the child finally emerged, wet and screaming, I melted into a sobbing mess. They had to excuse me from the room and I hid in a closet to regain composure. I was completely overcome, watching new life emerge.
The dream started that day.....I prayed that God would allow me to be a nurse, and to be at the side of pregnant and laboring women. I had no idea how perfectly He would provide for the dream He planted in me that day.
Now, many years later, with an RN behind my name and hundreds of deliveries under my belt, Im still in awe. I dont talk about my "other" job on this blog much, as family life takes center stage. But I regularly give thanks for the beautiful privilege of my job. That an evening or two a week I can do something that makes my heart sing (and even get paid!). I thank God for planting that dream in me all those years ago and for providing abundantly in my hearts desire.
That I could spend most of my days caring for my family and home, and still having the gift of coaching births and working my hospital shifts....its a dream come true!
This post is part of Grace-laced Mondays!
If a dream fulfilled isnt grace, then what is?

4 comments:
This is beautiful Jen. We're so blessed to have a woman full of the Lord's Spirit and Grace be apart of the pregnancy and birth of these little girls.
Oh I love knowing that you are an RN! What a privilege it is to be involved in care and birth, and the amazing miracle of life! Thanks for sharing!!
That definitely is grace. Midwives are some of my favourite people, so you must be great! =P
Over my past 4 pregnancies, I've become a complete birth junkie. The fact that you get paid to experience what you do makes me insanely jealous.
Don't get me wrong, what you do is super hard work, and you earn every penny, but it's such amazing and rewarding work.
Post a Comment