Wednesday, May 18, 2011

TEN

Posted by PicasaOn May 5th, we celebrated 10 years of marriage. I look at this picture taken at our reception and it seems like yesterday. But oh how much has changed since then. First of all, AJ got a few haircuts (finally, crazy hippie!). And I have a few more wrinkles and can only wish to fit into that dress. Then there are the 5 times we've moved, the one dog, three kids, various degrees and jobs held and countless blessings.....
When we took those vows on May 5th, 2001, we had no idea what to coming years would hold, and yet we were crazy enough to promise "for better or worse". We have enjoyed 10 very very good years together...and we're just getting started! (Notice I did not say easy, but good.) By taking the vows and committing our ways to God, we have said to each other in essence : "I do not have what it takes to love you well, but I know the One who does, and I commit to give this marriage to Him and see what He makes of it...."

And I see the faithfulness of God.
We are still learning, but the vows bind us and give us the grace to grow.
Our marriage is becoming, slowly, what God intends it to be.

For better or worse. Very recently, we've had a chance to practice the "for worse" part.

The days leading up to this 10 year anniversary and immediately following it have been kind of insane. By insane I mean that the following events all happened within a two week period:
1. Our credit card numbers were stolen
2. Car #1 broke down
3. AJ's grandpa died
4. Car #2 got a flat
5. AJ found out that his tenure was denied (which means he is losing his job)
6. Our basement flooded
7. There was a funeral to attend
8. AJ tore his knee up and needs surgery
9. Kid #3 had a crazy high fever...the cause of which is still unknown
10. Other random engagements including me hosting 8 college friends for a weekend and running half marathon

Its been a whirlwind really...barely time to breathe and refocus before something else hits. We loved poorly at times, have been overwhelmed, and have been drawn to our knees.

We wonder what the next decade will hold.

But we're thankful that we walk into it holding the hand of our faithful God.

“May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.” - Romans 15:5-6




No comments: