Friday, March 25, 2011

Im Nesting: Week I

Simply Nesting

No, Im not pregnant, but I am nesting.
Nesting in the sense that Im making my "nest" better for my little birds. Cleaner, more organized, more efficient. I told you about the book Im reading, Organized Simplicity: the clutter-free approach to intentional living. So that started to inspire my spring cleaning routine. Then my friend Ruth at Gracelaced gave a challenge to nest along with her for the next five weeks until her fifth babe is due. If you click on the above logo, it will take you to her beautiful blog for more inspiration!

Her challenge for this week was to organize the pantry. I almost never organize mine, but ironically just did a couple of weeks ago. So instead, I took another messy area of my kitchen and clean it out....my biggest cabinet. Its the place most of my cooking accessories/appliances get dumped. I kid you not, in five years of living here, I had never cleaned it. There was a thick layer of grime on the shelves and so many things in it I could never get to what I needed. It was hard to show in pictures, but believe me, it was a mess.
Before:
During: not only this one, but EVERY counter top was filled with stuff.
I got rid of things I never use (good-bye George Forman grill), and took several rarely used appliances (hello garage sale cappuccino maker) to the basement. Used vinegar to cut the grease and grime, and placed things back putting things I most often use on the right side which is more accessible.
Now, I dont dread opening this cupboard!
Posted by Picasa
Thanks for inspiring me Ruth...cant wait for next week's challenge.
Its not overwhelming to focus on one space per week.....try it!!

2 comments:

Ruth@GraceLaced said...

Oh I'm so so impressed! I have a cabinet like that as well! So glad you are nesting with me. :)

AJ said...

I argue that the garage sale cappuccino maker is only infrequently used