I suppose I could blame many things for my lack of posts over the past couple of weeks-
but lets just say Ive been doing a lot of pondering over here in the bungalow.
Pondering, praying, reading, pleading, being.
And learning all over again some very simple truths.
What I havent been doing? Sleeping.
For me, sleep does not always come easily. And there are lots of reasons for that, none of which Im going to discuss now (but I will if you ask).
I used to complain to God a LOT about my not sleeping. I still do at times, I'll admit. But Im finally, after 17 years or so of this struggle, starting to understand and believe this in a new way:
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Rom 8:28)
ALL THINGS.
even insomnia.
So when I walk into a day on only a few hours of sleep (or with none at all), Im learning to trust my Maker in a new way. If He is working ALL THINGS for my good, then I can place my exhaustion at His feet, and walk forward in confidence. Despair is replaced by an underlying joy given by the Father- knowing that my good (not my comfort, or ease in life, but actual good) is of utmost priority to my God.
Not only that, but insomnia, which I've hated so much, is the very thing that draws me near to the throne of grace. It strips me of all my pretenses, exposing my sin in all its ugliness. I can no longer pretend I have it all together, but am forced to take a hard look at myself and confess that I am in need. Im always in need, I just dont always see it.
So today, Im thanking God for insomnia. Without it, I might not rely on the Lord for ALL THINGS.
What are you struggling with today that gives you pause to question the Lord, His timing, His steadfast love?
Ask for the faith to not only endure, but to praise God in the hardest places....it might just be those places that you find Him waiting for you.
2 comments:
I do so well when everything is going great...yet I too do better when all around me is falling apart. I wish I could cling to God at all times. But I am thankful for the hard times that bring me back to him again.
Jen,
I've said in the past how I think you should be a writer or a poet, but after reading this latest piece, I'm convinced you should pen a devotional.
You cut right to the core of the matter.If we don't have any challenges in life, then our dependence for well being falls to other things than the ONE who is the source of our contentment.
Love you soo much.
Daddyo
Post a Comment