Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Grow it, make it, bake it

In the continual quest to provide good wholesome (and affordable) food for our family, I recently took up bread-making. I talked to other bread-making friends, did some math, and read some recipes. I took in as much advice on the topic as I could, knowing that bread-making is quite an art with all its chemistry and timing issues. I considered a bread-maker because it just seemed easier for a novice like myself. But the more I thought about it, buying a good quality stand mixer seemed a wiser choice, since I could use it for other things besides bread. I could also make 2 loaves at a time and not make it as often and without the annoying hole that breadmakers make in the loaf. Not to mention I've wanted a Kitchen-Aid for since the start of our marriage and my domestic life. (Maybe even before that). Thanks to Costco and a coupon, I got a great deal and was on my way to tasty bread. Today I tried out a recipe forwarded to me by a friend, and was really happy with the results. Beginners luck perhaps. Or, a really good recipe. Either way, we inhaled half a loaf for dinner, which proves I'll be making it more often than I thought:)
The coveted mixer: my new kitchen friend.



We're not growing wheat in our little garden, but we are starting to see some green!
We kept it simple as usual this year. Some lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, herbs.
Makes me happy just seeing them growing there. You can see the incredible amount of
rocks we have..Im amazed anything grows in it really. Next year we've GOT to make a
raised bed and add some new garden soil!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kone said...

dude. you are obsessed with that mixer.
You should ask Mom Koning about bread if you want some more input. She has secrets from the old country that produce some really yummy stuff. Just the memory of that hot bread out of the oven, slathered with better and Maus (sp?) makes my mouth water. Mmmmm.