Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sharing our traditions

Jaeyun turned 23 on Sunday, but since I had to work, we celebrated last night.
Our gift to him was a party with his friends. He wanted Korean food, but requested chocolate cake and my chocolate chip cookies for dessert. I was going to try my best at making the dishes he wanted, but instead, he invited his friends to help cook. Yesterday was their day off in between language class sessions, so they all had free time anyway.
The morning was spent baking and cleaning up a bit. Friends starting arriving around 2pm and immediately the preparations started for the 5pm dinner. Every bit of counter space, every utensil I own (and I have quite a few), every dish, and all of the refrigerator was used for the endeavor. If you know me well, you know Im a control freak in my kitchen. Its my space. This was certainly an exercise in letting go:) I couldnt even get in there to get a drink of water it was so crowded. There was lots of frying, peeling, soaking, blanching, chopping, rolling, mashing and talking (in Korean) going on. It was really something to behold!

We sat 14 around our dining room table (somehow!) to enjoy the feast. The food was incredible. Even Jonas announced early into the meal that he loved it. I do know some of the names of the dishes, but have no idea how to spell them, so I wont try.
We all ate chocolate cake too, but there is a LOT leftover.
Chocolate cake anyone?

Jaeyun was delighted with it all. He even wore the birthday crown I made him, despite his obsession with his hair. It was a proud moment.

2 comments:

Cara said...

I'd love chocolate cake, but we have a chocolate cake left over from Arabella's birthday on Monday. Want to trade cakes?

T said...

Oh my! I'm totally getting hungry just reading this post! I see some yummy gimbap on the table! How fun for all of you and way to give up the control in your kitchen (I struggle with that too!).