Thursday, February 7, 2008

"Bye bye stomach bug"

We've had a typical week around here for the most part. And today started out typical too. I intended to have a day at home with the kids and planned to prepare a big pot of soup for the casual "Soup Night" dinner party we're having this coming Saturday. There were a few ingredients left to buy, so the kids and I headed to Kroger after Luci woke from her morning nap. On the way there Jonas told me his "tummy was hurting him". I didnt think much of it because he says this every day when he gets hungry- I told him we would eat as soon as we got home from the store.

But when he fell asleep in the grocery cart, I realized that he actually might be sick. I quickly finished my shopping and was headed for the check-out when a lady said, "Um, your son is throwing up!" I looked down to see Jonas covered in vomit and all of my groceries covered in it too. He was terrified and started crying. Luci heard all of this and started crying. I wanted to cry. To my surprise, no one asked me if I needed help or even seemed concerned! What is wrong with people! I wiped up what I could with the 3 wipes I had and headed for self check-out, promising Jonas that I would clean him up very soon. I cleaned off the bar codes, scanned my items, and raced to the door- Luci still crying, Jonas white as a sheet and motionless. I called AJ on my way home to vent and he asked me if he should come home. No, I'll be ok I told him, Jonas vomiting again in the background. When Jonas started again in the garage and Luci was hysterical, I called again, having changed my mind. AJ being the amazing husband and father that he is was already in the car on his way.

To make a long story short, we spent the day holding the kids while they puked and did a LOT of laundry. I actually did get some soup made, somehow. And somehow, we bonded during the insanity. And even though the day was crappy in so many ways, there were moments of joy. Luci, on 3 separate occasions today waved her hand and said, "Ba Ba! Ba Ba!" AJ isnt sure she meant, "bye-bye," but Im positive. She looked so proud of herself, so confident, so sweet. And all poor Jonas could say was, " I dont want my tummy to be mad anymore!"

That's right, "ba ba" stomach bug.

1 comment:

Sarah Partain said...

Wow! What a day! If I had seen you in the store with vomiting kids, I probably would have handed you my pack of wipes! Hope you all feel better soon!