Monday, January 28, 2008

No cabin fever here

Typically, January is hard. The family gatherings are over, the ornaments get packed up, and we are left with the reality of a few months of really cold weather. Sometimes I get around to making a New Years resolution, but usually only half-heartedly. By the end of the month, Im experiencing a bit of seasonal depression. Not a great way to start a new year. Jetting off to all sorts of warm places this month has certainly been a more cheerful way to do things. (But I will admit, Im ready to stay home for some time.)

A week after we returned from Hawaii, AJ left for Minneapolis for another conference and to work on a book he is contributing to (a physics textbook). The kids and I, not really wanting to join him in below zero temperatures, went to Arizona to visit my extended family. My dad and Becky went too, which is the only way I could survive the airport and overall chaos of traveling with two small kiddos. It was a wonderful time of visiting and reminiscing. I was especially happy to be able for Lucille to meet her great-grandparents. Jonas enjoyed hunting for lizards and jack-rabbits which we talked about constantly.

One quick story before the pictures. This was Jonas' first time flying since he was about 8 months old. He did great, particularly enjoying views out the window for take-off and landing. When we were descending into Phoenix and the landscape was coming into view he said, "Mommy, look! Trucks!" And then after another minute.. "I want to play with them!"
To him it seemed we were landing on a giant play table, complete with bridges, and trucks, and even other airplanes. So funny.Jonas and the wee little orange tree in my grandma back yard. He thought that a yard made from rocks was pretty darn cool.

The kids with gramie and grampie Estle, and great-grandparents Eberweins.

This one really cracks me up. It was the best one I could get of the kids with my grandma Estle.

More pictures of the trip here

No comments: