Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Strawberry Lime Ice Cream


Its strawberry season and we've been enjoying the bounty! A couple of weeks ago we headed a bit north of Indy and picked 31 lbs of berries in 45 minutes (with three wee ones in tow!) They said it was the best crop in as long as they can remember. Since then, we've made strawberry sauce, jam, smoothies, and daiquiris....but our favorite has been strawberry lime ice cream.

David Lebovitz, author of The Perfect Scoop, has some killer recipes for various creams and sorbets. His recipe for strawberry ice cream is delish too, and my recipe is inspired by his, although mine can be made in literally 5 minutes and without an ice cream maker. Or, you can freeze it into popcicles, which is what the Rader kids like!





Strawberry Lime Ice Cream

2 heaping cups of frozen strawberries
1 C whole milk
1 Tbs Lime juice
1/2 C sugar or honey


Thaw the strawberries for 10 minutes or so for easier mixing.
Mix in food processor or blending until smooth. Add more berries to thicken if you desire.
Eat or freeze into pops!
You can also freeze in an ice cream maker to thicken and give a creamier consistency.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Tricia said...

I can't read recipes apparently. We made this and I was thinking it was very soupy and milky. I realized that I used a quart of whole milk instead of a cup of milk. Oops.

Jen said...

Oh no Tricia! Well, strawberry milk is good too! :)

Tricia said...

We made it again with the right amount of milk. Much better. I might reduce the honey just a bit as my family thought it was too sweet. I guess that's not a bad thing. Otherwise it was yummy.