Sunday, February 5, 2012

Space

SPACE:
A continuous area or expanse that is free, available, or unoccupied

There are lots of different gifts a husband can give his wife, but the gift of space and solitude is one that I always relish....as time alone is almost unheard of in this season of life. This weekend, AJ gave me just that. He took the kids with him to his parents, giving me an unexpected retreat!
As soon as my family packed up and drove off, I found myself paralyzed with too many options. I could organize and clean, go shopping, sit and read, go for a walk, meet with a friend- what is it that I really want to do with this unexpected time?!

I needed to think and prioritize. So I made truffles and some good organic decaf in the french press. First things first:) I sat and made a list.

And then I enjoyed every one of my 24 hours....

A quick sprucing up of the house happened first because I knew I wouldnt fully relax with it a mess. But then (ignoring the SuperBowl craziness in our city this weekend) I allowed myself some fun:

I thrifted!
Scavenged the Goodwill outlet and found a stack of great books and not one but TWO
beautiful hand-stitched quilt tops! And because of a rewards card and my birthday month, I walked out without paying a thing....score!




I went to the library...roamed without and agenda and went far beyond the picture book section. Later cozied up with a new book.


I enjoyed my detox bath
(that ugly green is kelp and it makes my bathroom smell like a fishy ocean)...




-I went to an art opening at The Harrison Center with a good friend.

-I slept in!

-I spent a long time in my favorite chair with a cup of tea and the WORD

- I got hooked on this show thanks to the good friend mentioned above. (I'm going to have to catch up during my laundry folding!)

-I attended a class on The Healing Oils of the Bible and spent much of Saturday resting
at The Haven with Trudie Crawford, naturopath extraordinaire.

-And, I got a new passport photo taken...with plans of travel still only a dream, why not at least have it renewed and ready to go?!


And in the end, rested and rejuvenated, I welcomed home my sweet crew.
Sometimes, all a mama needs is a few quiet hours to engage with herself (and her Creator!), without an agenda.

(*This post is part of Grace-laced Mondays!)
Grace Laced Mondays










Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

MCA said...

I have to admit that I'm slightly envious of your space :) Every word you said is so true. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it.

(And, Downton Abbey is the best thing to come around in many years. I actually couldn't take the suspense last night and read up on some spoiler sites. It doesn't matter to me though, I'll still enjoy the show every bit as much!)

Nelle said...

What a wonderful gift!

Beth said...

Hooray for some time to yourself! What a gift! Thanks for sharing a little bit of it with me.

N. said...

Good for you, getting a break. I agree- sometimes Mama needs to rejuvenate! Sounds like you spent the day well.

And you are like the second person to mention DOwnton Abbey recently. I so need to start watching that! I started the first episode on Netflix but never finished Season One.
Noelle

Abby said...

Yay, what a great gift! You spent your time well. Those alone times (whether for one hour or a whole weekend) are so important, I'm realizing, as my life gets more and more chaotic.

Ruth@GraceLaced said...

I just noticed that my comment never posted from last week?! Maybe I never finished it up...sorry!

Anyway...the older I get the more I think "refreshment" has to do with being quiet, and less to do with getting to talk a lot. Lovely to hear of your time to yourself!