Monday, February 20, 2012

Jesus, Lover of my soul

If you know our family well, then you know its been a hard year. My blog doesnt reflect all of the uncertainties and trials, as I've wanted to mostly document the joys and triumphs. But there have been many months of struggle, and tears of longing shed. We are in a season of waiting to be sure. AJ's job is ending in May, and he has yet to secure another. We desire more children, but that too is only a hope at this point. We've wrestled with our doubt, and have clung to the promises of scripture. And as painful as this process has been at times, we have known the loving care of our Savior...and we have had JOY. I sometimes wonder how this can be, and yet it is.

Yesterday I started singing this hymn and couldn't get it out of my head. It was written by Charles Wesley and is often sung at funerals. (It is said that Wesley sang it right before he died.)
Our congregation sings this hymn with re-written music by our worship leader Nathan Partain. (You are listening to his version now.) We love the somber yet celebratory tune and I love that its one of the few hymns that makes my husband cry.

As Lenten season approaches, Im asking, again, for my heart to be steadied on what is true. No circumstance can thwart the love and gift that was given at the cross. We are secure and safe in "the shadow of Thy wing".



Jesus, lover of my soul,
Let me to Thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll,
While the tempest still is high!
Hide me, O my Saviour, hide,
Till the storm of life be past;
Safe into the haven guide,
Oh, receive my soul at last!

Other refuge have I none,
Hangs my helpless soul on Thee;
Leave, ah! leave me not alone,
Still support and comfort me!
All my trust on Thee is stayed,
All my help from Thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head
With the shadow of Thy wing.

Thou, O Christ, art all I want;
More than all in Thee I find:
Raise the fallen, cheer the faint,
Heal the sick, and lead the blind.
Just and holy is Thy name;
I am all unrighteousness:
False and full of sin I am;
Thou art full of truth and grace.

Plenteous grace with Thee is found,
Grace to cover all my sin;
Let the healing streams abound,
Make and keep me pure within.
Thou of life the fountain art
Freely let me take of Thee:
Spring Thou up within my heart,
Rise to all eternity!

(This post is part of Grace-laced Mondays! Click below to join in!)


Grace Laced Mondays

3 comments:

Ruth@GraceLaced said...

Oh Jen, my heart is burdened with and for you; and yet I know we serve a great God who reveals His will in His time. We are loved...and through His lovingkindness, He makes no mistakes.

Carina Schoen said...

what a lovely, heartfelt, honest post. thank you for sharing. glad i found you through the link up. God is so good to us, and nearest when it hurts and is hardest. i pray you'll feel His presence around you today!

Carissa said...

Love you, Girl, and I love that picture :). Praying.