Sunday, February 12, 2012

Grain-free Banana Muffins

Posted by Picasa
This grain-free journey Im on makes baking a whole new art.
And while at times its overwhelming to navigate, I am having fun experimenting with new recipes and techniques.
The other day I was craving banana bread, the quintessential comfort baked good. My friend Katy had found this recipe, and I was thrilled that unlike other grain-free recipes, it only called for 2 eggs (instead of 20). However, it does call for 1 1/2 C of cashew butter, making it a pretty pricey batch of bread. And, at the time, we didnt have any cashew butter.
This is the recipe that emerged, and it turned out pretty yummy. It does include baking soda, which isnt exactly GAPS approved, but avoids the 20 eggs thing:)

I made muffins instead of bread, just because they are easy to reach for and kid-friendly. If you make it into a loaf, extra baking time would be needed.

Grain-free Banana muffins:

3/4 C almond butter
1/4 C butter
1/4 C almond meal
2 large ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 C applesauce
2 Tbs. honey
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Grease muffin tin or line with paper cups. I used my Demarle brioche pan
Mix all ingredients together until thoroughly mixed.
Fill cups 3/4 full with batter and bake about 25-30 min.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

CKD said...

Just made these and they flopped :-( They rose too fast, collapsed in the center, and ran over the tins. flavor is good, but definitely not a 'muffin', more like banana almond crumble.

Barbara said...

I also tried this recipe. While very yummy, they collapsed in the center and are very crumbly. They hold a little better when cool, but not much.

Barbara said...

My daughter loves them, though, so I'm making them again today.