In less than 2 weeks, our house is on the Benton House Historic Home Tour.
This means that a) we are crazy and b) we have a lot of work going on over here to get this bungalow ready! Months ago I made a list of random odd jobs I wanted to check off before the show....now Im revising the list and re-naming it, "Things that REALLY have to be done before the show". As crazy as it was for us to sign up for this with 3 young children, it has lit a fire under us to finally finish a few things around here:)
One project that made the revised list was window treatments for the guest/student room on the first floor. Ive had horrible mini-blinds in there for years and the thought of cleaning the dirt and dust off of them, only to be left with the clean ugly blinds seemed ridiculous. So, I decided Roman shades would be perfect. After a quick internet search, I realized that Roman shades cost a fortune. Plan B was another search to find out how to make them (Ive made all the other window treatments, but Roman shades have always intimidated me). Im my search I found a brilliant tutorial on repurposing mini blinds into Roman shades. Bingo. Not only cheap, but re-using what I have...I like it.
So I headed straight to Jo-Ann with my labor day coupon and got a great deal on bottom weight fabric (cheaper than home interior and perfect for blinds! *but not as many options in terms of design)
I started with this:
And ended up with this!
Total time: about an hour and a half.
Total cost: $ 7 per window
Total cost: $ 7 per window

3 comments:
Hi there! I found you through my cousin Linda Rhodus, Steve Hendershot's mom? She forwarded your link to me and I absolutely love your blog! One question, I saw the picture but how exactly did you create the roman shade? If the word NO SEW is anywhere in the tutorial, I will love you forever! :)
Very cool! Looks great!
Kari, glad you like my little corner of cyber space! Well, there was no sewing involved, I should have mentioned that! THere is a link to the instructions at the bottom of my post! Enjoy and have fun!
Post a Comment