Friday, January 21, 2011

Domestic Emergency and my Heart

Last Sunday while the kids napped I decided to do a quick sewing project that has needed to be done for some time. This is the mess I found in my sewing room:


The desk AFTER I cleared enough space to actually sew.


An unfinished project monopolizing the ironing board (which I admit isn't used for much more than sewing projects).


Piles of fabric, once orderly and inspiring, now mangled and unsightly.
And UN-inspiring.

I quickly did my project and fled the room, closing the door to the creative squelching mess.

I need this room and the space it gives me to create...
but this room certainly needs some attention to be the relaxing oasis it once was.

This morning I was thinking of how much my sewing room was a picture of my heart.
There are places I would rather just shut the door to.
It would take too much time to clear that area out, too much effort.

The good news is that its not my effort, but God's grace,
which will transform the places of my heart into places of beauty.


Create in me a clean heart, O God,and renew a right spirit within me.
Psalm 51:10

and

My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise.
Psalm 51:17


Wonder with me what it would look like if God entered these places we've given up on.
Open the door wide.

And then get excited to see the beauty that unfolds......

(I AM going to clean my sewing room...pictures to follow, I promise!)





3 comments:

designHER Momma said...

I love this metaphor, and I love this room. I have a room that looks the same, we call it the cloffice.

Steve said...

Jen,
More beautiful gems to reflect on!
Thanks for your encouragement on the phone yesterday.Love you sweetie!
Daddyo

Ruth@GraceLaced said...

I have had these very thoughts before. It's sad how sometimes we just "do enough" to get the job done, but we don't always find time to really reorganize and CLEAN OUT! You can draw the metaphors...

Praying you get some time to rediscover a clean and purposeful space in your home!