Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Of schedules and keeping busy





As you can see, Elliott is busy. He has an agenda. Toliets and toliet paper are among the highest of his priorities. Next is trash. If he has time left over, he tackles things like fixing the vacuum with daddy or dumping out the 4 billion crayons/markers/pencils we have.
Its a lot of work being almost one. (And the mommy of the almost one!)

My agenda, aside from keeping up with E's, has been under scrutiny these past several weeks. With school in and summer almost out, we're trying to figure out new routines around here. I happen to be someone who loves schedules, as long as there is some flexibility built in.
With needing to get AJ and Jonas out the door by 8am (or earlier the days they bike), its been a transition from a much looser summer routine to one with very little wiggle room.

AJ and I sat down two weeks ago to discuss our goals for our family, what we want the morning and evenings to be like, and how to fit in all the things that are important to us. I recently heard that the difference between a dream and a goal is a PLAN. So, we made a plan. We dont want life to be haphazard, but thoughtful and directed in ways that bring peace to our household and allows room for others. Its a tough balance.

Here was yesterday, just for the sake of documenting this season of life...
Woke at 5:50 am: sadly, the big kids were already awake, but I ventured down for some coffee and the WORD anyway
6:30: AJ and I prayed together (we're working on this discipline....and I love it)
7am: kids dressed, beds made, chores being done while breakfast is made
7:45: AJ and Jonas bike to school/work
Luci and I get bread dough started and I throw in a load of laundry,
(Elliott was probably occupied with one of the previously mentioned activities)
8:45: out the door to the YMCA (with friends) for a workout and play time
10:30: Home, quick shower, pack lunches
11:30: lunch with Jonas at school
12:30: home with 3 kids, books, then nap/quiet time
1:30: fold laundry, bake bread, emails
2:45: AJ home, Jen to work
8pm: from work to Trader Joes for a few groceries
9:20: home, groceries away, clean up kitchen, get coffee ready for morning
10:30 bed (10pm is the actual goal...and I read for a few minutes so it was closer to 11!)
(actually, I went to bed while AJ continued to work...on stuff for work)

Whew.



3 comments:

Kevin Flick said...

thank you jen! i needed to read this. it is so what i want for our family too and it is just SO hard with our crazy life right now. kevin just commenced his busiest semester of school yet and i am beginning to "homeschool" cora for preschool and we have the littlest who thinks sleep is not an important thing. it's so good to see other families who desire the same and are trying to do the best that they can! thanks!

Sarah Partain said...

Dang!!! What a day! You all are inspiring to me, as a parent and spouse...good words, coming up with a plan and getting up to pray. we need to do both!

Marc and Allison said...

We live by pretty strict schedules, too! But we've noticed that when we stick to the schedules, we have a little more room to breathe than if we would just wing it! Hope the schedule works out for you and you have a little more breathing room!!!