
Last week was full of mixed emotions.
In our own little world, we celebrated the news that Elliott's kidney is draining well, only one month after surgery. Our rolly-polly little man is rolling over and reaching for things and laughing the cutest laugh you've ever heard. In our own little world, life is good, easy.
But as I watched the heart-wrenching scenes from Haiti all week, I was reminded to look and pray and hope beyond my little world. How easy it is to become consumed with my own day to day affairs, without acknowledging the suffering, the poor, the needy. It took an earthquake to snap me out of my self-absorption.
Jonas caught a glimpse of the destruction on t.v. before I had the chance to turn off the news.
What is an earthquake Mom?
Its when the earth shakes hard and buildings fall, and the ground cracks, and people often get hurt. Its really horrible.
Why would God make it do that?
I dont know honey, I dont know.
Bad God.
No Jonas, God is good, even if we dont understand His ways.
Being the novice parents that we are, we're trying to help our kids learn a proper response to all of this. Yet we struggle ourselves to know what that might be.
We showed Jonas where Haiti was on his world map, we pray with him for its people. We are setting money aside for aide.
We talk about our heavy hearts, and we read the promises of God:
1 God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
and the mountains quake with their surging. (from Psalm 46)
Pray with us for Haiti. We grieve for them, but not without hope.
1 comment:
and keep him away from that fool Pat Robertson
Post a Comment