The birth of my third
I'm finally sitting down to recount the story of Elliott's birth.(There are no gory pictures, but I am including details, so if you don't like birth stories, you might skip this post:) ) Its also a LONG post, I'll warn you in advance!
Reflecting on the births of each of my children, I am amazed at how unique each experience was...perhaps as different as each of my children have turned out to be.
So here's how it all went down on September 4, 2009........ The day before I went into labor, my parents (Estle's) arrived from northern Michigan. They joked that it was ok for me to go into labor now that they had arrived...but my OB appt the previous day showed that absolutely nothing was happening. No dilation or effacement, and the baby still needed to come down farther into my pelvis. I got an adjustment from the chiropractor and had him do an acupuncture "inducement" to try to gently get my body prepared, but did not have high hopes that labor would start any time soon, despite it being my due date. Reminding myself that babies come when they're ready, I tried not to worry about whether he would come while my dad was in town...even though that was my prayer. That night we popped some popcorn and put in a movie. I was having contractions here and there, but none of them hurt, nor did they seem to be in any kind of pattern. I couldnt make myself go into labor, but I could possibly help the baby settle into my pelvis some. I did some stretches and sat for most of the 2 hour movie on the exercise ball (thanks for loaning it Cary!), bouncing gently and rolling back and forth. If nothing else, it helped ease the increasing ten
sion in my back. (The first picture was taken my my folks that night as I bounced. They took it "just in case I went into labor" as a last mug shot of me pregnant.) When I went to bed that night around 11pm, there was still no action. But at 1:30 am I woke to a really strong contraction...which usually meant I had to go to the bathroom. I got up and went, but after returning to bed had two more really intense contractions. After the third, I felt warm fluid pouring out. Ummmm, did I just pee more? (My water has never broken prior to labor starting. In fact it happened with the other two after more than 10 hours of serious labor.) Nope, not pee. More intense contractions followed, each time with more fluid pouring out. "Oh my goodness, this is it!" I woke up AJ and told him we should get packed for the hospital.
We were really excited, but still in shock. After packing, the contractions still coming every 5-6 minutes or so and still intense, I suggested we put in a movie to help distract me. We got through about an hour of the movie. By this time I was really having to breath through the contractions and they were closer together. They were also now radiating my entire belly. I decided to give Dr. Soper the heads up, and she agreed I should head into the hospital soon. We packed up, woke Dad and Becky to tell them the news, and headed downtown. Upon arrival around 4am, I was 4cm dilated, 90 percent effaced and at -1 station...which was a BIG difference from the day before, but still a long way from baby. I was encouraged and discouraged at the same time, and my labor was intensifying minute by minute. We got to the birthing suite (the same one I birthed Lucille in!) and I asked about getting in the tub. The labor nurse was under the impression you should be 5cm before getting in, so I waited, laboring in the rocking chair. Dr. Soper came to check on me before too long. I told her I really wanted to labor in the tub, and she said, "then get in!" As they filled the tub I told AJ that this baby seemed to be coming MUCH more quickly than the other two, and that I wanted him to call my friend Emily, who
had agreed to be my doula. It was 5 am or so at this point.
The nurse got a strip of baby's heart rate pattern, and then
she and AJ helped me in. The warm water felt so good. It didnt ease the strength of the contractions, but it helped the rest of my body relax enough that I could give in to the power of them. Emily arrived soon after I got in and immediately poured a bit of lavendar oil into the water. It smelled so good!She noticed how close together my contractions were, and encouraged me as I breathed through each one. AJ was right at my side too, bringing cold washclothes to my forehead and reminding me that I was doing well. The pain was increasing, but I still felt I could handle each one and relax between. AJ and Emily were so present and encouraging. Em suggested that AJ grab something to eat before things got too much more intense. I have no idea how long he was gone, but it wasnt long. What I do remember is his coming back with coffee breath:) I remember that at Jonas' birth too...how horrible it smelled! After being in the tub for almost two hours, I was beginning to really struggle to stay in control during contractions. I could feel the baby moving down with each one, and the rest of my body seemed to be gone. It was a VERY st
range sensation. I told Emily and AJ that I couldnt feel my legs at all. I opened my eyes and saw them there, but I really couldnt feel them or move them. My arms and hands were pretty numb too. I think my body must have been releasing endorphins to help me cope. All of my body's energy was in my uterus, and with each contraction, I just focused on keeping it there. I began to transition about 7:15 and could feel my body beginning to bear down. HORRIBLE and POWERFUL all at once. Transition is so hard. Every ounce of me was focused on submitting to what my body was accomplishing. I was listening to Emily and AJ from a distance, and I was reciting every promise from Scripture I could remember. Thankfully, this time around, it didnt last long.I asked them to get Dr. Soper to check me, knowing that the baby was much lower. She checked me in the tub and said I was 7-8 cm/ 100 percent effaced and the baby was at a +2 station! She also said it would be 30 min, tops. Oh man, that sounded like an eternity. I asked her if I should get out of the tub now, but she said to just stay. But two contractions later I knew he was coming and told the nurse (the nurses had changed shifts sometime in there!) to drain the tub some to let me out! Emily, AJ, and the nurse (who I later learned was Lela) frantically got out towels and helped me out. Somehow I got to the bed and turned on my side, holding up my leg. I could hear the nurse calling for Dr. Soper and begging me to breathe. I couldnt breathe, I could only push! Dr. Soper walked in (calm as ever), sat at the end of my bed, and after 2 pushes, caught my little man! She immediately placed him on my belly for me to hold, and waited for the cord to stop pulsing before cutting him from t
he placenta. It was amazing! Tears of joy and thankfulness filled the room. Elliott was finally in my arms! (And soon, he was at the breast, his favorite place.)
6 comments:
Great story! So glad that this labor and delivery went so much faster than the other two! We can't wait to meet the little guy!
Love it! So inspiring...I am hoping for an all natural birth (I'm starting to feel like I can do it!)and am so inspired by your experience. I love birth stories too, so thanks for sharing!
Thanks for sharing, Jen. :)
Dear Jen,
Just read your account of giving birth to our little Elliott.
So beautiful to hear you tell of each moment, each feeling. I'm soo proud to be your dad, and to be a grandparent to three gorgeous little ones. Please send more pics of the new addition soon!.
Love
Dad
Dear Jen,
Just read your account of giving birth to our little Elliott.
So beautiful to hear you tell of each moment, each feeling. I'm soo proud to be your dad, and to be a grandparent to three gorgeous little ones. Please send more pics of the new addition soon!.
Love
Dad
Loved reading each word of your memories of birthing Elliott. So, so amazing.
Post a Comment