Sunday, June 14, 2009

28 weeks and counting...


The belly, as of this morning.
Im heading fearlessly into the 3rd trimester and the heat of this Indiana summer....
Ok, Im not completely fearless, but Im trying:)

Im feeling well actually and so thankful that this pregnancy has been a bit
easier than the last two. Ive only had two migraines, thank God. And my
belly buddy is growing at the same pace as the other two, which means Im
measuring a couple of weeks big already.

But we do have a prayer request, if you are a praying type.
On Friday I had a follow-up ultrasound to look at the baby's left kidney. At the 18 week ultrasound, the kidney was ever so slightly enlarged. We were hoping to see that it had resolved. Unfortunately, 10 weeks later the kidney was showed "marked hydronephrosis and dilation of the ureter". Basically, this means that for some reason (and there are different things that cause this sort of thing) the kidney is not draining well and is filling with fluid. Subsequently, the ureter leading out of the kidney to the bladder is also enlarged. When the ultrasound tech showed me the difference between the right and left kidneys, it was alarming. If the kidney continues to enlarge, it could become diseased. We will be meeting with a specialist on Tuesday to learn more about this and get another more intensive type of ultrasound to see if we can see a cause. We'll also find out what this means for the remainder of the pregnancy and after the baby is born.

So, here's our prayer request.
Please pray that the left kidney would begin to drain. It would, I think, be miraculous, considering the increase in size in only 10 weeks. But our God has done more incredible things than this, and it is certainly not beyond His reach. I was reminded this morning of His care for us, even before we are born:

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well"
"My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. Whan I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body."
from Psalm 139

Thanks for your prayers. I'll post an update after our appointment on Tuesday.


2 comments:

Kevin Flick said...

i will definitely be praying for you both and for this precious little one!
-mindy

Andy and Sarah Middlestead said...

Praying for you and your baby!