Tuesday, May 20, 2008

There and back: City mice who love the country

The last few weeks (since my last blog) have been full to say the least. Following sweet Luci's birthday was a not so sweet stomach virus for me. I was completely out for the count for days. Then my poor son got the same thing and we were all miserable, and not getting much sleep to boot. We had a couple of days to recover before AJ left for San Francisco for work and the kids and I made the daring drive 7 hours north to G & G Estle's. And it was daring on my part.

The kids actually did quite well, except for the last 1.5 hours when Jonas starting screaming that his stomach hurt (oh no! not the stomach bug again!) and was flailing around in his car seat and asking me to hold him non-stop. When I finally arriving at my folks place I was more than frazzled. But all that to say that we had a very relaxing and enjoyable week. The Leelanau Pennisula is beautiful in the spring with the cherry trees in bloom. We sat on the big porch for hours, throw rocks in the lake, and enjoyed grandpa and grandma's new place. As you can see from the photo, its not quite finished, but close. They are eager to have all the details wrapped up as you can imagine.

As much as we love and feel "called," if you will, to living in the city, we do love the country. The quiet was alarming and refreshing. (Its amazing how you dont even hear the sirens after awhile!) I took time to walk and jog and shop the area thrift stores too. We're thankful G&G moved to such an amazing place. Even city mice need the country from time to time:)

The kids drank in every minute and cried when we left. For many miles Jonas pointed backwards and said, "I want Gampa-Gama...that way!" They enjoyed having their own rooms and all the specialness that comes with being adored and spoiled every minute! We'll brave the 7 hour trip again soon....

No comments: