So the picture I posted of our flood was severely inadequate. What you couldnt tell from it was that we had about 6 inches of water throughout the basement and LOTS of things floating around. We woke last Wednesday morning at 6am to Mocha scratching at the basement door. AJ got up to investigate and found the disaster with poor Mocha shaking from the trauma of having her bed washed away.
Of course it was the day that I had a meeting at work at 7am, during a very busy week. Since the kids were still sleeping, AJ started a search and rescue effort and I left for the meeting, promising to return with some rubber boots and garbage bags. Thankfully, my meeting was short, and rubber boots are trendy (one pair left in my size at Target!), so I wasnt gone too long. AJ had already contacted the insurance company, who had promised to send someone that morning. Among the things floating were my sewing machine, and plastic tubs of fabric (which had turned over and were soaked). I should have been more upset about the furnace being damaged beyond repair, but fabrics bleeding onto one another almost killed me.
Wednesday turned out the be a very long day in a very long week, but in the end, the episode turned out to be a bit of a blessing. The insurance company was phenomenal (I'll tell you which one if you ask) and hired a clean up crew that day- not to mention making provision for a new hot water heater, furnace, and washer. Nothing of sentiment was ruined, and they are compensating us for things, even those we wont miss. It was sort of a forced spring cleaning week- our basement hasnt looked better:) (Actually, it takes something on the scale of a flood to get us to clean the basement).
The rest of the week was filled with replacing necessary things, like the furnace, washing things, reorganizing, and managing the constant flow of traffic in our house. Not to mention moving all of the furniture on our second floor so that it could be re-carpeted- a job that had been scheduled for Thursday and Friday prior to the flooding.
Now we're like new here in our 108 year old house. AND I have cute rubber boots!
2 comments:
Jen!
I was just looking through your favorite sites and saw that you guys are over the rhine fans. I LOVE THEM! David surprised me this past Christmas with tickets to their show here in Indy. I have even MORE respect for the two of you now -and I didn't think that would be possible!
Cary :)
Now we are twins for sure....I have the same rain boots. I love them.
We are glad everything is shaping up.
Love,Becky
Post a Comment