"Mommy, I want to play my guitar with you!"
"Ok, lets go get it!"
"Get YOUR guitar too mommy!"
(The guitar I used to play in my life previous to marriage and children. The guitar I learned on that has a thick layer of dust on the case and desperately needs some new strings. The guitar that I played for him only once or twice before.)
So I got out the guitar and we had fun exploring things like picks, and capos, and tuners...and then we jammed together. How fun to sit and sing and strum with my little man, now only 2.5. I watched him quickly learn how to hold it, cradling the neck, and wanting to strum with the pick. He even noticed that my guitar sounded good and his did not. Ah, a good ear already.
I watched him intensely playing, concentrating on doing it the right way, on his new skill. When I squinted I saw him years from now, a teenager making his own songs and his own way in the world. It was a scary but sweet moment. I wonder if he'll write a song or two, if he'll still love to sing. And I wonder who he will sing to. For now, I'll just enjoy him for myself....

3 comments:
So cool! I love how toddlers can really concentrate on things that interest them even though they can be wild and rambunctious most of the time.
Becca likes me to play my guitar too. I just have to keep my nails short enough and get it out more often. I've thought about hanging it on the wall in our new house so I play it more, but then I'd have to dust it too. And I don't like to dust at all.
I didn't know you played too. Fun! makes me wish even more that we were moving to Irvington. Not that I'm all that stellar at playing. I've mostly taught myself, except when my friend Andy helped me learn to get a good strumming rhythm going.
Hey Jen - Great blog! Looks like you guys had a great trip to Hawaii!! We brought Piper home a guitar too....she loves it!
amazing what they remember, Arabella recalls stuff that I don't even remember.
Post a Comment